This picture was taken for this weeks "selfportrait tuesday" - it's all in the eyes -. YES, I'm totally aware it's not tuesday today..... LOL Time just flew by so fast this week....
Did you know I love to bake. To bake bread is one of the things that really makes me feel relaxed and happy....and useful. LOL. And my family get happy too...They all love homemade bread. :) :)
I have a few favorite recepies, but most of the time i just improvise. :)
Here are two of my favorites, one in norwegian and one in english ;)
FOUR grain bread
- 2 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 1 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup(s) coarse cornmeal
- 1/4 cup(s) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon(s) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup(s) wheat germ
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar (packed)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) honey
- 1/2 cup(s) buttermilk, warmed to 100 degrees F.
- 3/4 cup(s) (add more as needed) spring water warmed to 100 degrees F.
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Make the dough: In a large bowl or food processor, combine the flours, cornmeal, 1/4 cup oats, wheat germ, sugar, yeast, and salt. In a small bowl, combine the honey and buttermilk and stir into the dry mixture. add the Water 1/4 cup at a time until a dough comes together. On a work surface lightly dusted with whole-wheat flour, knead dough by hand until glossy and elastic -- about 10 minutes -- or process in food processor for 45 more seconds.
- Proof the dough: Coat a large bowl with the vegetable oil. Shape dough into a ball and place in the bowl, turning dough to coat all sides. Cover bowl with a clean, damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size -- aprx 1 hour.
- Form the loaf: Punch down the dough and shape into a tight ball. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal. Shape the dough into a 10-inch oval, tapering the ends, and place on the baking sheet. Cover with damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size -- about 20 minutes.
- Bake the bread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush loaf with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon rolled oats. Using a sharp knife, cut 3 diagonal slashes in the top of the dough. Bake in the lower third of the oven until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped -- 50 to 60 minutes. Cool on a rack. Serve at room temperature or toasted. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe was found in Country Living magazine :) :)
Now for my norwegian friends:
5 dl vann
4 ss olivenolje
1 pose tørrgjær
9 - 10 dl hvetemel
2 1/2 dl grov sammalt rug
1 neve sesamfrø
1 neve linfrø
1 neve solsikkekjerner
- varm vannet til ca 40 grader
- tilsett olje og honning
- bland alle de tørre ingrediensene i en bolle (hold igjen litt av melet)
- tilsett den lunkne væsken og elt godt
-hev deigen i ca 1 time
-bak ut brød i hjerteform eller vanlig brødform :)
-etterhev brødet i ca 20 minutter
-forvarm steikovnen til ca 200 grader celsius
-sett brødet midt i ovnen og senk tempraturen til 175 grader.
-stek i ca 45 minutter, eller til brødet høres "hult" ut når du banker på det. :)